One of the difficult things about selling your home is opening it up to strangers. To minimize the stress on you, we'll discuss appropriate showing times. Access to your house is very important, buyers have busy schedules and they want to be able to see your home at their convenience.
We will have an Agent Open House that will be held before your home is open to the general public. That way Agent will be able to preview your home and advise their clients.
During the listing period, your house should be ready to show at all times - meaning clean and clutter-free. And, those last minute touches before someone comes to look at your home can make all the difference:
- Turn on all the lights even during the day, and open all the drapes and blinds.
- Turn off the TV and play some classical or easy listening music
- If you can, ask friends to look after your pets or remove them for showings. Some people may be allergic, others may be afraid of all kinds of animals.
- You may have gotten used to cigarette smoke, pet odours or food odours over time; others walking into your home, haven't! Smell is very important and odours should be aired out with fabrics and surfaces cleaned, not just sprayed.
- Leave windows and mirrors sparkling.
- Set out fresh flowers, hang decorative towels in the bathroom, and make sure couch cushions are straightened.
- If possible, leave! Some buyers are uncomfortable when the owner is in the house. If you must remain, try to stay in another part of the house and do not make conversation. The buyer's Realtor knows what the buyer is looking for. He or she can discuss features and answer questions.